- Open to any student attending a school with an existing GIS chapter, or a school in the chapter application process
- GIS membership is non-discriminatory for any reason including but not limited to race, age, ethnic background, major/field of student, or academic standing
- A new member is charged a one-time fee of $50.00 which provides a lifetime affiliation with Gamma Iota Sigma!
- New membership is valid from the date of application until June 30 of the academic year.
- Open to ANY college student attending a school where no GIS chapter exists
- This could include students attending a school with no means for studying risk management and insurance or actuarial science, or students who are in the application process for starting a chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma.
- An at-large member is charged a one-time fee of $100 which provides a lifetime affiliation with Gamma Iota Sigma!
- A student who is an at-large member whose school later charters a GIS chapter would be grandfathered in as a member at no additional charge.
Forming a Chapter
What do I need to apply?
1. View the New Chapter Checklist
2. Review the New Chapter Application Requirements:
- New Chapter Questionnaire
- Letter of Recommendation from GIS Board of Trustee, GIS Alumnus, or current GIS Advisor or chapter officer
- Letter from Dean of School where GIS will be located (i.e. Dean of Business School or Dean of Liberal Arts School)
- Letter from school that approves student organizations, including the code of regulations for student organizations within your school
- Signed Affiliation Agreement
- Attendance at an event such as the Annual International Conference, the Leadership Symposium, the Regional Conference Series, or an inter-chapter event as approved by the Grand Chapter.
How do I apply?
Submit materials to Grace.Grant@gammaiotasigma.org.
How much does it cost?
The one-time fee charged by Grand Chapter for a collegiate chapter charter is $2,500.00. The fee due to the Grand Chapter for each student affiliating with a collegiate chapter is $50.00 for the 2018-2019 academic year and lasts the life of the membership.
What is the timeline?
Chapters will be voted on three times per year – during the months of January, April, and September/October in conjunction with Gamma Iota Sigma Board of Trustees meetings. Chartering ceremonies can be scheduled as early as 30 days following approval.
Are you interested in joining the Insurance Industry’s Premier Collegiate Talent Pipeline and forming a chapter on campus? We would love to hear from you! We encourage you to consider the following:
Do you have a faculty member interested in advising your student group?
Do you have both juniors and seniors interested?
Will your student organization office approve Gamma Iota Sigma as a student group on campus?
Are students interested in being a part of a GIS chapter at your school?
Please contact Grace Grant, Senior Vice President, Chapter Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about starting a chapter and to further discuss the process.